Monday, January 30, 2006

It-happens-only-with-me mania

While I was on the brink of job-LESS-ness, an invite for a campus day fun at Wipro held at EC campus was a huge solace. Off we went from M3 (the branch from where we work) to EC. Less said the better about the ordeal that finally put us in EC. The shuttle never came in time, the normal why-it-happens-with-me scene. The trouble we took to just be a part of the entertainment is better undisclosed.Nevertheless, hopes of fun at the gathering soothed the annoyance of the resistance put forth by the road- less-gravel-more Hosur road.
The game there "Housie-the game of chance" had just taken off. Late-comers very often get special treatment (reminded of Politicians? ) in the form of ‘requests’ to join the bandwagon. Join did we.Until some time, I suspected if the numbers called out were complementing the numbers on my Housie ticket (Again ……. Why-it-happens-with-me syndrome) .Suddenly, the person calling out the number said ‘ Now it is one and three……. That is thirteen… unlucky for some, and lucky for the others’. Well, with my not being the one to believe in superstitions ( at least, that’s how I make my mind believe) , was brimming with smile to see 13 on my ticket. ‘How can thirteen be unlucky?....... not at least for me’, I mumbled.‘Anyone calling for 13?’…….. came the call from the dais….. Off I ran to the dais anticipating a surprise gift for 13 is not a number very easy to get , right? ( so did think so many sitting next to me who encouraged me to run harder).
It was so sheepish to go all the way to the dais to get clarified that they were not looking for a specific number to give away a surprise gift.They were just curious to know if there were any ‘lucky’ ones to get 13. Although I am not the one to feel ashamed very easily, they were moments of embarrassment, mind you, in front of a huge crowd! Hmm…….. had I also not associated so much significance to 13, I would never have done that……
‘Number 13……. You are unlucky, unlucky and unlucky……. That’s it’. Did I say I wasn’t superstitious?....... I don’t know. But, one thing I know is such- things-happen-only-with-me!

1 comment:

Dalaharp said...

hahahahaha...rashmi, i was there and yet somehow i missed this spectacle...
should have been worth attending the function as i dint win any prizes as such...
;-)