Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Wallet-wanes day

“Happy Vyalantineer day” was a lady’s wish to her near and dear ones on a request show hosted by a Kannada channel on the eve of Valentine’s Day. As I knew the occasion and purpose of the show, I could contemplate the wish as “Happy Valentine’s day”. I safely withdraw myself from commenting on the judiciousness of celebrating the day. I am not against it for the reason that everyone should have the freedom to live one’s life as wanted as long as it doesn’t harm anyone. I am not for it for the reason that one doesn’t need a specific day as such for celebrating love. Nevertheless, the aim of the post is not to opine regarding the V-day celebrations but to highlight the fact that the markets make hay while the sun shines. Of all the offers on this eve, what caught my eyes while browsing through the papers was the king of offers: Leela Galleria offers a special package at Rs.14,000 only ( Thankfully, inclusive of all taxes!!) for the occasion. There are certainly some things money can’t buy (Not even Master card!).
With a surprising number of people indulging in this celebration, sometimes oblivious of the attached significance too, and in effect shelling out lots of bucks, I feel it’s germane to rechristen Valentine’s Day as “Wallet-wanes” day.

3 comments:

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

How true! It’s striking to know that the number of cards sold during this season is only next to Christmas and New Year’s eve! No wonder if the former takes over the latter in the near future. Valentine craze alone is helping so many G-card industries thrive.
Perfectaagi helidiya. By the way, neenu eshtu business kotte avatthu G-card companies-ge? ;-)

Nero said...

Interesting.. neevu Marathi anta naanu ankonde. :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@nero,
Although I know bits and pieces of quite some languages, Marathi is one, of which I don't know a single word!I am wondering what made you think I am a Marathi.
Although, You seem to know Kannada well :)