Saturday, November 08, 2008

Hawaii Slippers

About 15 years ago, on one of the days I played with my friends, I had lost my new shoes. In the mind to avoid any wear and tear, I had them rested them in a corner and played bare feet. For every time-please in the game, I ran to the corner, gave a glance at my shoes and continued with my play. Then came a time- please and there I ran huffing and puffing to see, but not to find my footwear that seemed to have slipped into the hands of some stone-hearted person.

Mom’s reminder of carelessness ( but tell me, how careful than watching the shoes every now and then and preventing them from wear and tear can one get??) and dad’s venture to buy me a new pair with mom’s advice to buy me nothing but Hawaii slippers for as per her, kids of such age keep losing things and it would only be less painful to lose Hawaii slippers next time.

So off we went to a shoe showroom, dad, brother and myself. I eyed at a very good red colored shoes but never opened my mouth to express my wish for two reasons, one being that I was guilty of losing an expensive pair of shoes and another being that we were constructing a house then and I had thought that going for less-expensive shoes would save some money for my father ( Did I think that it would help him construct another floor!! Hmmph.. no clue). We were back home, dad, brother, Hawaii slippers and myself. I was not as happy as I would generally be whenever anything new was bought for me. Well, my brother who knew the fact told that to my father (well, kids of our age and my brother who is four years younger to me would generally know the kiddo secrets). Usually, his normal trait would be to threaten me of revealing the secrets, but this time, he said it. Amidst the anger that I had on my brother for having done that to me, I really didn’t concentrate on my dad’s response. I suppose he opined that I must have expressed my wish.
Kids will be kids, don't they? Wishing for small things, fighting for small things, threatening for small things and getting scared of small things!!

Well, these thoughts refreshed in my mind when I watched an Iranian movie titled “Children of Heaven”, translated into English on Star movies a fortnight ago. One of best movies I have ever watched I must say. A movie revolving around shoes and kids, gosh, it looks so real!! It brought back so many of my memories .What runs in a kid’s mind maybe beyond a parent’s perception. Composition the same, yet brains work different.

4 comments:

prashanth said...

That is a cool post, it reminds me about my childhood days, I use to do the same thing, whenever my dad takes me to some shop i would choose a cheap stuff just to save some money for my dad. :) Do kids think alike? looks so to me from this post.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@prashanth,
Thanks. :)
So true, strange to know that kids think so alike!!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of days when i went shopping at times with my sister and at times with my friends. I would take atleast 2 hours find a sandal for myself..:D thank god, buying shoes has reduced my pain and time NOW ;)


~Pushpa

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@pushpa,
Time-cutting and cost-cutting, huh? :)