Thursday, November 13, 2008

Twice-fold Effect!!

As I belong a generation consisting of folks about to enter or who have just entered the matrimonial phase, I quite often get to hear of the match-fixing, negotiations, horoscope matching and if all succeed ,marriage.

Of all, to the phase of horoscope-matching, I have complete disapproval. Is the institution of marriage so simple that all one’s life, just the spouse is the entity the person deals with? Not really! If only horoscopes are important for compatibility checks, then why haven’t people realized, rather than checking the compatibility of the bride/groom-to-be, verifying that of saans-bahu will make Ekta Kapoor go bankrupt and restore sanity to the world.It’s quite unfortunate if the guy and girl like each other with the horoscope horror to dismantle their dreams.

As will the case be with many, marriage applicants will deny, parents will deny their denial. Looking for the right time of my absence, at time of my match-fixing, my mom had visited an astrologer with the horoscopes of Rags and mine. Just when I was back, here’s what she had to say,

Mom: Finally, I got the horoscope matching done.

Me: Come on, mama.

Mom: Shut-up! What do you know?

Me: Hmmm…

Mom: However, he said the compatibility is great.He said, that guy is the right person.

Me :oh!!

Mom: .... (Brimming with joy) ...and this is the right time to get married. If done so, everything will be twice-folded in your life.

Me: Huh? What about marriage then? That twice-folded too?

Mom: Shut-up! Won't you? He meant your happiness in life will increase.

Me: Looks like the Astrologer was right.

Mom: (Seeming quite victorious for having convinced me).. So finally you agree? Good.

Me: Of course, mama. You did say ‘shut-up’ twice. Twice-fold effect you see!!

Mom: God save Raghu!!

I was only kidding when I said that to her, quite an ugly joke that was. But my intent was to explain that not horoscopes, but hearts play a role in compatibility. Just ‘Put yourself in others’ shoes’ principle in life would lead to understanding anybody, not just the spouse. If I need to get compatible, I need to understand his priorities in life and so should he, right? Well, has there been any horoscopically-approved couple that hasn’t fought? That must be a wonder, I say.

3 comments:

Monika said...

i think u copied the last part of the text twice too....twice folded indeed...

jokes apart fights are the spice of marriage else it will be boring me and N fight all the time and solving the fight gives a reason to cozy up doesnt it

Anonymous said...

Nice one, especially the saas-bahu compatibility requirement!

That said I think horoscope matching is done to match your luck rather than compatibility. And somewhere, there is an expectation that the same will flow into the marriage and make it enjoyable :)

As for flaws, love marriage is as flawed as arranged, if not more :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@monika,
All a part of life. Life never complete without all the ingredients that make it up :)

@Ganesh,
Hope the luck flows into everyone's marriage. I completely agree with you, love-found or love-arranged, flaws exist. We have got to learn how to live with the flaws ( I my case, maybe, my husband has to :P)