Friday, March 02, 2007

B'lame' Acts

Not committing a mistake. Getting blamed for the act not done, as if done, solely done. Helpless and unable to justify or resist the blame. Hurts. Truly Hurts. My state of mind for the day.

Not me alone, so many can identify with me on this, I suppose. Times when, you know you are right, rather not wrong, yet take the blame without offering any restraint owing to the situation you are in.

Why do we take blame?

For the fortune of some people being born long before us. Yeah, it’s called ‘Respecting Elders’ not to talk back, I am told. So, you tolerate.

Position. When my class teacher blamed my handwriting for her not being able to read something, I only agreed to improving it. (If my mom had criticized my handwriting, I would very well say, “Mama, any hand-writing that does not look like yours is not all that bad!! Everyone has a style, mine is one too!“). Since it was from my teacher, I tolerated.

You can’t really be blunt in your words to hurt someone badly, not at least your friends, so you tolerate.

Situation. You are in need of some work getting mobilized from a person that you hardly have any time in messing around retaliating and straining the relationship, which would in effect hamper the process. So, you tolerate.

Not in the mood to pick a fight or too depressed to talk. Who says choking voice sounds melodious?

You are least bothered about someone saying something, so you let it pass as if unheard.

You are actually guilty of committing the blame-worthy act. (Why mention this? Not all accept blame even on committing a mis-deed, right? So I proudly mention that I do it.)

You simply are used to taking blame as if it’s your duty while someone does the giving act as if no one’s business. Well, who doesn’t know how most of the house-maids are treated simply because they are of the lower-economic cadre and are compelled to hear, for they desperately are looking for financial benefits, be it at the cost of self-esteem. Self-esteem is a very luxurious attitude that only people of higher cadres (Occupation, Status, Gender etc) can follow, you know. So you tolerate.

You take the blame because you tolerate. Here ‘tolerate’ is a synonym for helplessness, fear, respect, patience,I-don’t-want-to-disturb-the-situation-by-shouting-out-aloud-attitude as applicable to the situation, isn’t it?

Blame Game is so very lame at times played just to get away from a mess by making someone else a scapegoat. Today, I have been one, rather the latest of my situation-based-scapegoat-incarnations.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can actually feel the frustration flowing. some things have to be taken with a pinch of salt my dear, even if they're totally untrue

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@anon,
that's true...

Anonymous said...

i only hope you are not referring to your marital life here :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@anon,
Fortunately I am having a blissful marital life :) Touch wood!!