Monday, November 28, 2005

Rash driving? call xxxxxxxxxx

I always thought that synonyms meant the words that could be used interchangebly. Till date, I guess, the definition still remains valid but for a BIG exception , unfortunately. Aren't 'Imprudent', 'Careless', 'Reckless' etcetera synonyms for 'rash' ? Well, 'etcetera' really comes in handy when I have to assert things even without having a comprehensive knowledge. My research on the synonyms for 'rash' is always on the run.Some friends of mine call me 'Rash' , pronounced as 'Rush', which possibly is a diplomatic way of indicating my impatience and the rest who find another nature more evident call me 'Rash' again, this pronounced as 'Rash' for obvious reasons! I am not sure if it is sheer coincidence that I am called 'Rash' and all the buses, taxis ,cabs etcetera ( again...... u know why etcetera is used , right! ) put a signboard saying "Rash driving? call ..... " Come on! I wonder why the whole world is against my holding the steering wheel...... what have I done to anyone at all? Can't they use 'Reckless/ careless/imprudent blah blah blah driving ? call ...(who the hell cares whom! )'
With my spending half my life amidst the vehicles in the traffic and these sign boards cropping up every nanosecond aggravating my anger, I feel , the contact numbers mentioned on all the vehicles converge to my dad's cell number alone.
I wonder why my dad insists that I don't drive. I agree, in my lifetime, some how I managed to clear all the tests and exams (not in flying colours though!) in the first attempts but for that dreaded 'Driving test' for license which took two solid attempts. Who asked the RTO staff to put bricks in my way ? Naturally, I would dash into them. 'They said that I failed the driving test!'. How fair is it to punish me for their fault Am I a jerk to go and hit the bricks if the path was clear?
I also agree that once or twice I hit the garage doors . Only once or twice, not that I perfected the reverse gear well, but I was denied the opportunity to even know by how many inches I would miss out on scraping through them. Of course ,I do agree that in the worst possible heavy traffic, I would bring a halt to the motion by introducing commotion with so many horns giving red alerts from all around. But why didn't they realise that I gave them a timely break ? 'What is this life if full of care, you have no time to stand and stare?' They were only permitted to stare but , Oooooops! their horns and their mouths bring hell to earth!' Can't the never-do-wrong driver class be a little tolerant at the amateur specimens like me?
In my dad's presence,my touching his car is ruled out. When he is out of station, he would have given directions to the rest of my home-mates asking them to call him up if Rash drives !
But isn't all the dashes and trashes in the game of driving? Risks are an integral part of life and to a certain extent, must be taken too .No matter what, I will get my dad's car onto the road.......... but please, when u see 'Rash' driving, call anyone on earth but not Rash's dad!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't beat up urself Rash!! Others are there to do it to u if u get behind the wheel. :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

Well, Anonymous, That was indeed a gud caution! :-)
Thanks for dropping by, though

HaRi pRaSaD said...

Hi Rashmi!
Enigma here. That was a nice ( ofcourse not little!!) post!. It really saddens me that people get annoyed with "Rash" driving. :(
Tell you what, you got a good sense of humor, which is reflected subtely in the way you put things. Your description of the driving tests were enough evidence. Keep going "Rash"!!

Anonymous said...

One day you'll lose a pair of limbs or two. At that time come back here - to the same post - using a voice recognition software or with the help of somebody, read this again and post a corrigendum amidst your tears if at all you're in a mood for it.

Heed your parents.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@anonymous
First of all, thanx for dropping by and more so for giving a precautionary remark. U are right in the fact that one has to heed and avoid mishaps.But one thing, if not given a try, one can never learn. I feel, sometimes, parents are more protective as a result of which we mite not even realise that we could have always done it.If not given a chance or two, how can I perfect the art of driving? But what do you say about the people involved in accidents after years of perfect driving? Should that mean I have to give up on my desire to drive?

Nevertheless, thanx again for ur concerned remark.Keep dropping by to correct me when I am wrong.And, u can't get a person to take comments more sportively than I do, u could have disclosed ur identity :-). Although, it's ok this way to coz the msg is conveyed after all.