Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Miles to go before I sleep

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep”


I must admit, I am not a fervent poem-freak but these are the lines of one of the very few poems I mesmerize. Many a time, friends and I have indulged ourselves in hot arguments on the implications of these lines. Reading between the lines, some said that it sounds too morbid while some others said that the poet is virtually expressing that he is driven by compulsion to go any further. Well, different folks, different strokes. Nonetheless, to me it is HOPE verbalized. I feel, it undoubtedly enlivens grit and persuades to carry on by reassuring one’s innate potential. To say succinctly, the essence of the lines just lingers around saying “Never halt, for you have it in you to accomplish more, If not you, who else can?” This is of course, an everlasting source of inspiration and depiction of undaunted optimism.

Way to go, Frost!

2 comments:

Dalaharp said...

Well, for me the lines imply that, the woods i.e. world is full of amusements, but since i have promises to keep, i have to look further and accomplish them before daylight, and even more promises to fulfill before death..

:-)

HaRi pRaSaD said...

:)