Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SIM-wars

Whenever you talk to a friend over mobile, sometimes before “hi” or just after that, you get indulged in justifying the reason for your having chosen the SIM you have opted. At least with me , it happens more often than not, mostly first time, although not surprising if the same debate recurs. It just happens that all but the one I opted provide mysterious better offers, more free messaging services, better network coverage, blah, blah, blah……
With my having chosen (didn’t really rack my brain) the one not so popular (at least in my friend circle) I have to bear with all the accusations of a not-so-good-mobile-communication. So, every time, I went to get my currency recharged, my brother would insist I change to Airtel for it offers good network coverage. Well, after a little suspicion and a little amount of probing, the fact was revealed that Kareena Kapoor , who stays somewhere in ChinaTown, has had a great impact on my brother…..err…….Airtel!
Another colleague of mine almost forced me into changing to Hutch justifying that it offers an attractive messaging service, a wide quota of free messages that can be sent ( Did she wink when she said it would help if I have a boy-friend? Well, maybe).Just when I was giving it a thought, ‘Rahul Dravid’ screen saver dazzled on her mobile.Hmm…what was I thinking? How could she be attracted to that cute doggy in the Hutch ads when she was looking for a cuter specimen?
When reliance is/was relying on so many people,Saurav,Irfan, Ajay Devgan and Kajol to lift itself up, don’t I have to think before relying on that?
With so many confusions in mind, I thought the SIM vendors at mobile-shops are better judges of SIMs, I went there and enquired as to which SIM is better. Instantly came a grinning reply from the vendor “ Ma'am, Spice, the one for which Priyanka Chopra is the ambassador.” Hmm….. but, that’s what I already have now! Does the grass look greener on the other side? I was just wondering if what I encountered was SIM-war or Star-war!
I thought I have to put up with the one I have until Aamir Khan proposes the use of some SIM. God! Now that my cell started ringing, I have to prepare myself to listen to some SIM-selection counseling from the caller.

Disclaimer: When I am not sure what SIM to use ( until Aamir Khan sponsors one,though), how can I say which one is better? Not targeting any here, stick to your choices.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleaszzzzzzzzzzz change your sim!!!!! :P

HaRi pRaSaD said...

:D There couldnt have been a better time for me to read about SIM card wars! Having lost my mobile a couple of weeks back, I was forced to buy a new instrument and a SIM card. Making a decision on the choice of both was painful to say the least! There seems to be a "mobile pundit" lurking inside everyone, which surfaces instantly whenever some one needs a clarification! Getting confused, I decided on my own and went for a basic color mobile and a Hutch connection to go with it. The moment I made a formal announcement about this in my friends circle, I had to face a barrage of questions to justify my choice. How I wish they just said "Oh!Fine, just give me a missed call, I shall store your number!!"
So, A Aamir fan are you? Great! How about Tamil? Don't you think "MY" hero, Vikram rocks?!!

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Raghu,
:D ..witty!
Request under Consideration,boss!
@Enigma,
So, you opted for Hutch, I mean, a lot of free messaging to your gal!...kidding.
Me a great Aamir fan. Not sure of Tamil actors,really.

HaRi pRaSaD said...

My gal? My gal? My gal?
(*** Enigma smiles wryly***)

catch 22 said...

Aamir doesnt he rock the only bollywood actor whose movies i look forward to. Ok I deviate from the essence of the post. ;). Use any of them who cares as long as it works. :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Enigma,
Seems like you were reminded of your gal. Don't worry.
@Catch22,
You are right,but the fact that all around me care for that makes me also think about it. :)

Anonymous said...

hi rashmi,
u said someone winked at u n gave extrodinary ideas..is that the person,the one who sits next to u.:-)
-pushpa

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Pushpa,
It was actually you, not her who gave that idea. Did you forget? However, it is indeed a genuine one to stay in touch with my dear boy-friend! :D
Oops! Am I blushing? Pyaar kiya to darna kya? :D Is my real-life hero listening? :D

Sujeet said...

I dont care for the SIM..I just do not want my number to change!!!
Anyways, I thought Ajay and Kajol were in the ad for Tata Indicom!! Never mind.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Sujeet,
Oh yeah! That was good catch. I stand corrected. A confusion effecting from too many star-wars!
Seriously, change of number is big worry,although not very much for a non-V.I.P like me!

Sujeet said...

Do I deliberately construe that I am a V.I.P?? ;-)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Sujeet,
hehehe...... maybe not a deliberate construal! Could be a fact !

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! My eyes have opened! My soul is filled with music! Your articles ranging from which SIM to choose to mosquitoes disturbing chat sessions with friends are edifying and extremely hilarious!
Now that I realize what a hollow human being I am, I will also try to fill the emptiness in me with mindless chatter and frivolous banter.. Thanks a lot!

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Anon,
Well, your comment was very overwhelming and meant a lot to me. It was beyond my imagination that the senseless jottings of mine could make someone feel happy and inspire to find joy in the little things of life. I should thank you for the same. Cheers! Keep visiting,Anonymous or otherwise. :)

catch 22 said...

Madame post please :)

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Catch 22,
Oh Sure! Thanks a lot. That was a close follow-up. Feels good to know that a post is expected.:)

catch 22 said...

:)

Anonymous said...

New post???

catch 22 said...

Its high time :)