Wednesday, March 29, 2006

To not err.....inhuman

Just an year ago, my friend met with an accident on his way home from office. He was hit by a truck to get injured badly in the head and limbs to end up in a totally pathetic condition. He was admitted to the hospital immediately and his parents who stayed in another state were apprised of the condition. Like most of my other friends I also got to know about the tragedy only the next morning, in effect feeling very bad for whatever had happened. My friends and I happened to talk to our P.M. about this and got permission to call on him in the hospital to know how bad his condition was. When I was just about to leave for the hospital, I got a phone call. Although I was in a restless state and in no mood to pick it up, I did. “April Fool” said the voice. In no time, I could analyze that the whole sad story was cooked up to fool folks. With my nature of fooling people and playing pranks all through the year, I am undoubtedly a target of many on that D-day. It was no surprise I was fooled. But, despite knowing that it was April 1st, despite knowing that I was running a risk of getting fooled, I didn’t want to question the credibility of the matter for I thought if I believed, I would only be a fool if it were a prank (but, what was new about it?) but, if I didn’t believe and had it been true, I would feel guilty. I believed it to comfortably get fooled. People who were smart enough not to believe it and being safely saved from getting fooled, said I did a mistake in doing what I did. But, I thought, for such things, to not err, it is inhuman!


I was just reminded of it since the D-day is about to revisit again and another colleague said he’s going to quit on 31st.About bidding farewell.. To do or not to do?

3 comments:

HaRi pRaSaD said...

It is fun to fool people, provided it is done within the limits.In my opinion the incident you have citied has clearly crossed the limits by leaps and bounds.What is the point? Guys should be innovative enough to fool someone in a harmless way else just dump the whole idea.At the end of it the victim should be able to have a hearty laugh recalling the whole incident, not disgusted.
Last year I happened to check my email using the PC of my boss, when he had gone out. I had got a mail with an attachment that read "Sizzling Sehwag". In my eagerness to see the Sultan of Multan in action I clicked on the file- **Poof** The whole environment in windows changed into a gaudy flurosent color!! To top it all the cursor turned into a spear with an "April Fool" tag attached to it. You must have seen me sweating!! Though I knew I just had to change it back to default settings, I panicked and restarted the machine. It booted just in time and my boss walked in!!!
I was totally irritated, because it was only March end!! :D

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Enigma,
So , you too were a victim last year ...hehehehe.
Better luck this year.

@ada_acolyte,
Thanks!
About " deja vu" , you could certainly say so. In fact, I am almost certain I forsaw it. Experiences do teach a lesson or two , you know!
You too beware, April 1st is not very far. If you get fooled, do share your experience of how you ended up getting fooled here!

At the end of it all, maybe we can compile a " 101 ways to fool people" book !

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Pragatheeswaran Rathnam (Radical Prodigy),
Good to have you visit my blog.Yeah, you are right, trying to be too smart can yield real ugly outcomes.