Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Interface with the world

The more we are out of our "Hello World" domain, the more we learn the lessons for life. The other day I happened to meet a cab driver who was as frustrated with his work as I probably was with mine, but the difference being he had an attitude to face life head-on, which I probably didn't have. When his boss called him up to impose  certain restrictions on him and the protocol he needs to follow, which the driver felt were unreasonable, the driver strictly refused to budge and said, he would park the car at his (boss') house in one hour after having dropped me and quit the job! For once, I felt he was being impractical and short-sighted to be quitting the current job, but I was amazed at his confidence to see what ensues but not deal with insanity being driven to him.

What I see is that being tolerant can be mis-read as being submissive. Talking what we believe in and being assertive about what we think and do is of utmost importance to safeguard our identity. Jobs can come and go, but identity needs to stay. Lesson learnt.

No comments: