Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Injurious Ban

Perhaps, I am quite traditional for I still stand by the feeling that smoking is a sick,not hep thing. I could not have been more ecstatic when I read the headline that smoking would be banned at offices too. When I went on to read in more detail, I felt that it was more of a bane than a boon to the inevitable passive smokers. Who on earth felt that smoking in a confined zone is more dangerous than smoking on streets,thereby increasing the scope of harm to passive smokers.
Rule banaaya bhi to kya banaaya! Wah.
At this juncture, I am reminded of my visit to Goa,last year. I was impressed when I got to know that smoking in public was banned and implemented more or less.
I thought smoking in public needs to be banned, if at all the agenda is not just about gathering publicity for a brief while!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely not so, the rule helps atleast some people if not everyone. People at hotels/pubs are conscious not to smoke inside and people at tea stalls do it away in a corner away from non-smokers. Things have definitely turned up for the better but not the best. Probably, like as your say the rules should be more strict.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Ram,
Oh yeah, I agree with you that the rule is enforced on the pubs and probably is good when effective. I am not too sure if people at tea-stalls walk away and smoke. As you said, things have turned better,nice to see smoke-free office, but then not too good a sight to see people go out to take a smoke on the roads!
True, if the person wishes to, he can smoke in his house,not that he has the right to make his family a bunch of passive smokers.
However, although imcomplete I feel, it is towards a good move, hope to see better things coming .

Ramprasad said...

I've seen a few people given up smoking after the rule. This is a success considering the Govt's intentions. Hope India follow's suit to countries like Singapore where costs of cigarattes are exhorbitant and rules are strict.
That would definitely make a lot of sense.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

@Ram,
Really? Man! that's indeed good news. Hope to see some light at the end of it ( well, not some light at the cigarette butt's end!!).